Ginger is the underground rhizome of the ginger plant. They are spicy, aromatic roots and adds flavor to dishes. They are of Zingiberaceae family and Zingiber genus. The cultivation of this plant began in South Asia. The inner portion of ginger root/rhizome can be of different colors like yellow, white or red depending upon the variety. The ginger plant produces clusters flowers.
Take Care of Ginger Plant
1. Ginger plants are easy to grow.
2. They can be grown in both indoor and outdoor.
3. The plants need a sheltered spot and filtered sunlight.
4. They like humidity and need rich moist soil.
5. Much watering and keeping them in direct sunlight is not good for plants.
6. The plant can be grown from fresh ginger rhizomes.
7. Use of good compost can grow the plant well.
8. The best planting time is late winter/early spring.
9. The best time to harvest ginger is any time after the leaves have died down. The rhizomes are then replanted.
10.The plants are not much affected by pests.
Benefits of Ginger Plant
Ginger has a great number of health benefits.
1. Ginger is very effective for gastrointestinal diseases.
2. It has anti-inflammatory properties and has antioxidant effects.
3. The anti-vomiting action of ginger is very useful in reducing nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
4. Ginger contains gingerol, an anti-inflammatory compound.
5. The intake of ginger is good for persons with muscular discomfort.
6. The American Cancer Society, has promoted ginger for cancer treatment.
7. Tea brewed from ginger is a common folk remedy for colds.
8. It is applied as a paste to the temples to relieve headache, and consumed when suffering from the common cold.
9. Ginger with lemon and black salt is also used for nausea.
Beyond these they have so many medicinal and health benefits.
Ginger is a useful food preservative. It is an important kitchen spice and is used commonly in pickles. Tear from ginger is commonly used. They are used for making wines which have high commercial value. Fresh ginger is also used for eating after peeling the skin.
Ginger has immune boosting agents. Ginger is also an important economic resource. The ginger oil is used in perfumery. Dried ground ginger is used in commercial food flavoring. It is an important commercial spice crop grown from very ancient times in India. India is one of the largest producers and a major exporter of ginger in the world. The demand for ginger products is building up day by day and so the market of ginger has become very competitive.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.