Hair Loss also termed as Baldness is a partial or complete loss of hair and is also a part of Hair Thinning. It is normal for a person to lose up to 100-150 strings of hair in a day but if you experience excess amount of hair fall then it’s a serious problem.
Male-pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) is the most prominent type of hair disorder affecting, to varying degrees, half of all men over 50 years of age.
Thinning of hair in women usually starts after menopause. During this period, the production of the female hormone estrogen slows down dramatically or sometimes stops altogether.
Causes of Hair Loss
- Pulling hair with excessive force like ponytail or cornrows.
- Compulsive pulling and bending of the hair which causes broken hair
- Traumas such as childbirth, major surgery
- Severe Stress
- Radiation caused to the scalp, for example in case of cancer treatment
- Temporary or permanent hair loss due to some medication
- Poor nutrition, limited food intake, and deficiencies in certain nutrients can cause thinning
- Air and water pollutants
- Baldness to due to cysts
- Demodex folliculorum, a microscopic mite that feeds on the sebum produced by the sebaceous glands, denies hair essential nutrients and can cause thinning.
- Baby Birth
Symptoms of Hair Loss / Baldness
- Excessive daily hair loss
- Receding hairline at the temples and balding.
- Excessive body hair in men is an indication that hair thinning of the head might occur.
- Hair starts falling out at the sides of the head.
- If you find a lot of hair on on cloths, bed sheets and on combs then you might be at a risk.
- In women, if a large amount of hair is gone after combing or brushing.
Prevention of Hair Loss / Baldness
- Eat a balanced diet
- Increase your protein intake
- Always keep your hair clean
- Protect your hair from dandruff itching and hair lice
- Always use the shampoo and conditioner depending on your hair type
- Avoid too much of styling of hair
- Alcohol and tobacco also plays an important role in hair fall so avoid them
- Regular exercise can help
Treatment of Hair Loss / Baldness
- Life Style changes which includes proper diet, regular workouts, avoiding stress are some of the natural ways to treat hair fall
- There are some medications available for hair loss but intake of those should only be after consulting a proper doctor
- Hair transplantion is yet another method by which you can gain the lost hair on your scalp. This has helped many people to regain their lost confidence.
- Laser therapies are also available to help you come out of your hair loss.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.