Hair transplantation is a treatment for baldness that gives you a natural look. Hair transplant is a surgical procedure that removes hair follicles, the skin organ that produces hair, from any part of the body and transplanting them to a hairless portion. The part of the body from which hair follicles are removed is called donor site and the part where it is transplanted is called recipient site. It is also performed on people who have significant hair fall. It is a cosmetic surgery which can restore eyelashes, eyebrows etc. too.
What is Hair Transplant Procedure?
- Hair transplantation is done by a surgeon specialized in dermatology or plastic surgery.
- Prior to the surgery, doctor discusses about the expectations and problems with the patient and advices the best method to prefer.
- The procedure of hair transplantation usually requires local anesthesia.
- The two methods of transplantation are – follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS) and follicular unit extraction (FUE).
- In follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS), strip of skin of good hair growth is removed from the donor site and transplanted to the recipient site or hairless portion. FUSS may leave scar in the donor site.
- In follicular unit extraction (FUE), is a time consuming process in which the surgeon will remove the hair follicles one by one and transplant it to the hairless area. The procedure of FUE may require more than one session and is costlier.
Is there any non surgical hair replacement procedure?
You can even opt for non-surgical hair replacement procedure. The non surgical hair replacement is a process that creates a natural look for the hair. It is a procedure that adds as much as hair as required for natural hair density.
Some of the disadvantages of non-surgical hair replacement are:
- Less durability
- Thinning of hair
- Requires much maintenance
Cost of Hair Transplant
The cost of hair transplant depends on the level of baldness and the number of grafting required. How much will be the cost of your hair transplant will differ from clinic to clinic and procedure to procedure. Consult your doctor to understand the exact cost.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.