What is Cod liver oil?
It is a nutritional supplement derived from the liver of cod fish. It has high level of omega of omega 3 fatty acids, EPA eicosapentaenoic acid and DHA docosahexaenoic acid. It also contains vitamin A and vitamin D. It is mainly taken to balance the vitamin A and vitamin D in the body. It is being given to children as it contains vitamin D which helps prevent rickets and other diseases caused by the deficiency of vitamin D.
Benefits of cod liver oil?
- Prevents rickets: It helps an individual get prevented from rickets which is caused by deficiency of vitamin in our body. Rickets leads to bones failing to mineralize leading to soft bones. In some case rickets may lead to physical deformities which may lead to bowed legs, thick wrists, and ankles.
- Lowers risk of diabetes: The type 1 diabetes is a special kind which usually occurs in children. Researchers in Norway often say that taking cod liver oil in first year of birth minimizes the reason behind type 1 diabetes.
- Good source of vitamin A and D: The cod liver oil contains good content of vitamin A and D which is an add for its consumption. It is often seen that vitamin D is not found naturally in food substances which can be had in the form of cod liver oil. It is must for those who are living in colder regions as they may reach deficiency of vitamin as they lack in vitamin D.
- Prevents from several infections: It helps to build good immune system which leads to less diseases and less doctor visits. In a research by the American college of nutrition, cod liver oil was beneficial and could even decrease doctor visits by even 36 to 58 percent.
- Protects eye sight: As it is rich in vitamin A and D, and these two minerals are essential for maintaining appropriate vision of a human body for long time.
How to give cod liver oil to kids?
As you just know the benefits of cod liver oil. So the next thing parents want is that how will their children given cod liver oil so they consume it on a regular basis without skipping. As fish is not the favourite meal for many children so you should know how to give this oil.
Here are some tips and tricks for parents:
- Try chewable tablets of cod liver oil.
- Buy a flavoured brand which will help in reducing fishy smell.
- Mix it in their meals.
- Add to the things they love to eat.
- Add in fizzy drinks.
- Give with maple syrup or honey.
- Add to salads or dressings.
- Take it with your kids
- Make it a family habit