Lemon Grass also called Cymbopogon, is a genus among various species of grasses. They are native to India and tropical Asia. The other names for lemon grass include barbed wire grass, silky heads, citronella grass etc. The leaves and the oil of this plant are used to make medicine.
Uses of Lemon grass:
- Lemongrass is used for treating digestive problems, stomachache, vomiting, cough, fever, common cold etc.
- The grass has antioxidant properties.
- They are used to reduce high blood pressure, convulsions, pain, rheumatism etc.
- The extract from this grass plant is used as antiseptic.
- They are used for the relief of nasal congestion.
- The lemon grass or its oil is directly applied externally for headache, muscle pain etc.
- The oil from this grass plant is used in aromatherapy.
- Lemongrass is used as a flavoring in foods and beverages.
- They are commonly used in herbal tea, soups and curries.
- Lemongrass oil is used as a pesticide and a preservative.
- It has antifungal properties.
- The oil is used as insect repellent and also used in soaps and candles.
- The lemon grass tea is used as a folk medicine in many parts of the world.
How to grow the plant
- A lemon grass plant can be developed from roots.
- They can be planted in pots or directly on ground.
- The plant prefers warm, moist and humid conditions.
- They should receive enough sunlight to grow.
- The grass can be planted in fertile soil with good drainage.
- Watering should be done frequently.
- Over watering results in the damage of plant.
- Fertilizers, organic fertilizers, with much content of nitrogen can be used for the healthy growth of the plant.
- The plant is not much affected by pests and insects.
- There are some toxic side effects for this plant.
- It can cause lung problems, especially for children, while inhaling.
- It is unsafe to take lemongrass during pregnancy.
- Avoid the use for the grass for breast feeding ladies.
- High dosages of the oil can cause health problems. So always check with the doctor for the correct dosage.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.