What is Migraine
A migraine is usually characterized by painful recurrent headache with a variety of symptoms. It is a neurological condition that can affect people in different ways. Migraines can last from hours to a few days. The exact causes of migraine are still unknown. Treatments are available for this but it differs from person to person.
Who is at risk?
Migraine is a common condition that is seen in many people.
- According to statistical reports women are more likely to be affected by migraine than men.
- Obese people have more chance to have migraine attack.
- Genetic factors can cause migraine. Most migraine sufferers have a family history of migraine attack.
- Migraines affect in people in the age group between 15-55.
- People who lead unhealthy lifestyle may suffer from migraine.
Symptoms of Migraine:
Symptoms of migraine vary from person to person. Here are a few symptoms as commonly seen:
- Severe headache is common symptom seen in affected persons. Headaches can be frequent or less frequent.
- Migraine can affect without headache also.
- Some people have intense headache on one side of the head / temple.
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Visual symptoms such as seeing blurred vision, blind spots, flickering lights, zigzag patterns etc.
- Inability to concentrate or speech problems
- Facial appearance, changes in eyeball or abdominal pain
- Mood changes, faintness, dizziness etc are other symptoms of migraine.
Causes of Migraine:
Migraine is caused by neurological disorders. When it is triggers it expands the blood vessel in the brain. Some of the most common factors that triggers migraine are:
- Weather changes
- Irregular day to day routine
- Improper Sleep
- Alcohol Consumption
- Some odors
- Lack of food .
- Changes in environmental factors
- Hormonal changes can be a reason for migraine among women. They may suffer in the days just before or after menstruation
- Trigger factors are not common to every people. There can be any one or other of these of a combination of two or three factors.
Prevention of Migraine:
- Migraine attacks can be prevented by recognizing the triggering factors and avoiding them. Some of the factors that trigger Migraine can be due to some specific smell, alcohol consumption etc. Find out the cause of your Migraine and accordingly prevent it by avoiding it.
- Certain lifestyle changes can also help overcome Migraine. Live a healthy life.
- Consult a doctor for preventive medication
Treatment of Migraine:
Migraine is not curable completely, however, with proper medications you can reduce the effects of the problem. It can be brought under control using a wide variety of treatments. Consult your doctor and as per your condition, he may prescribe you:
- Analgesics (eg: aspirin, paracetamol etc)
- Medication for Blood Pressure
- Nutritional Supplements etc.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.