Swimming is one of the best fitness exercises for a healthy body. Many people enjoy swimming and go for a swim for relaxation or enjoyment. Many of them regularly go for swimming as part of their exercise routine. But swimming can cause most of the skin problems.
What are the skin problems caused by swimming?
The majority of the skin problems are caused due to swimming in impure or chlorinated water. Some of the skin problems that can be affected when swimming are:
- Itching or Rashes on skin called Swimmer’s Itch – Swimmer’s itch is the common problem of skin when swimming. It is the rashes on the skin that is caused by an allergic reaction by parasites. There is a high chance of these parasites to be found in water.
- Swimmers itch can have the symptoms like red rashes, itching, burning, swelling etc. The symptoms can be mild or can worse according to the skin exposure to the allergic condition.
- Dry Skin – Dry skin is a problem that can be caused due to continuous exposure to chlorinated water.
- Viral or Bacterial Infections – Viral or bacterial infections can be caused due to polluted water.
- Premature Aging – Regular swimming in chlorinated water can cause premature aging. Chlorine affects the skin badly. It can cause dullness to the skin.
- Skin Burns and Skin Patches – Excess exposure to sunlight during swimming can cause skin burns and skin patches.
- Skin Cancer – Skin cancer is an extreme case that can be caused by over-exposure of skin to sunlight.
How to Avoid Skin Problems in Swimming?
Some tips to avoid skin problems from swimming are:
- Take a compulsory shower before entering pool.
- Clean your skin, body and hair if wet thoroughly in pure water after swimming.
- Avoid swimming in pools with contaminated water.
- Moisturize your skin before and after swimming.
- Drink plenty of water a day.
- Dry your skin with a towel after swimming.
- Apply oil, lotions or sunscreen before swimming.
- Wear swimming cap before entering swimming pool.
- Avoid pools where swimmer’s itch is present.
- Ensure that the pool you use is properly maintained and cleaned.
It is advisable to go for swimming as it is one of the best exercises for health and to maintain body weight, a good aerobic workout for diabetes, arthritis and a good cardio workout too. Just ensure that you take necessary precautions before and after your swim.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.