Zika Virus is a viral disease transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. It was first identified in 1947 in monkeys in Uganda. Zika virus will not affect severely in most of the people. But Zikka infection during pregnancy can cause serious conditions such as congenital brain abnormalities, including microcephaly. In some cases, Zika virus may cause Guillain-Barré syndrome, a serious condition affecting the nervous system. Zika virus is reported in Central and South America, Caribbean, Africa, Asia etc. Since the virus is spreading, travel warnings is issued in many countries.
What are the Symptoms of Zika Virus?
The symptoms of Zika virus affects is very less. Some people show no symptoms. But there are some common symptoms which are usually mild and last for 2-7 days. Some of them are:
- Skin Rashes
- Muscle Pain
- Joint Pain
- Feeling of Uneasiness or Discomfort etc.
How is Zika Virus Transmitted?
Zika virus is mainly transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. These mosquitoes are usually active in daytime. The infections like dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever are transmitted by these by Aedes mosquitoes.
- Zika virus can be transmitted through sex.
- The virus can spread from a pregnant woman to baby.
- Blood transfusion is another mode of transmission of zika virus.
How is Zika Virus Diagnosed?
Zika virus is diagnosed through various laboratory tests such as blood test, urine test etc. The doctor will ask about the symptoms and recent travel history.
How is Zika Virus Treated?
Zika virus disease has no specific treatment. The doctor will recommend you to:
- Take Proper Rest
- Drink Plenty of Water
- Have a Healthy Diet
- Pain relieving medicines will be given if there is pain.
- You will be given medicines for fever if there is fever.
How can Zika Virus transmission be Prevented?
Avoiding mosquito bite is the primary measure to prevent Zika virus infection:
- Use mosquito nets when sleeping.
- Cover your body.
- Use door and window screens.
- Use Insect Repellent Creams.
- Travelers should avoid going to infected areas while travelling.
Zika virus can be sexual transmitted:
- Have safe sex.
- Use contraceptive methods.
- Consult your doctor if your partner have Zika virus infection.
Digital Marketer, Mumpreneur, Blogger and Business Coach.